Monday, August 29, 2011

Desemparados

Change of plans, this part will not be about the house; that will come soon enough, I guess



Studying in Costa Rica, thus far, has proven to be a great decision: friendly people, nonstop supply of great Hispanic food, and plenty of time for naps. Firstly I will list some differences and some aspects of life abroad that are not so similar to everyday happenings up in the states.
  1. There are dogs EVERYWHERE. And not like in a cute, "aww I had a dream like that once" kind of way - they just roam the streets, doing their business where ever they please, and cross the road at will. They're all dirty, and they all don't acknowledge the presence of humans. It's actually pretty sad. They drink out of any hole with water they can find are scared of anything that comes near them.
  2. Along with dogs, the roads are usually filthy. People just throw their garbage on the ground without any regard to cleanliness. Sidewalks here are destroyed and require you to carefully contemplate where your next step will be. Basically, I live in the ghetto. It's interesting because Ticos know that their city has problems, but will always say that everything is peachy keen. They are legitimately always happy and therefore never ever EVER complain. The phrase of all Costa Rican's is "Pura Vida" or pure life, and it sums up the mindset down here: regardless of anything, life is good and pure - cherish it. Kind of a nicer way to think, if you ask me.
  3. Comparatively, electricity is more expensive here. So much so, that nearly all homes lack the giant water heater that we are used to; instead, they have a bigger shower head thing, that holds and heats water, like a thermos type thing. It's attached to an electric source and heats up as much water as it can, but you must use little water, not full flow. I've heard its quite popular throughout South and Central America. It forces you to take quick showers (no more than five minutes or so) which suits me just fine.
  4. There are very very very few addresses here. To give directions to a taxi driver, you must instruct him as to what landmark your house is nearest too, then instruct him turn by turn. Also, in order to send mail, you must write something like this: Mr. Daniel Hylas, 50 meters west & 100 meters north of the police station, and 25 meters south of the Pizza Hut, Desemparados, Costa Rica.... no joke! And God help you if you don't write "This is not commercial property" at the top of a sent package, then it would have been faster to deliver it yourself while riding one of those stray dogs, backwards, in the rain.
I've also uncovered a few things you should and shouldn't do around the house. For one, do not take your shoes off. Ticos believe that disease and sickness in the house spreads through the feet and scoff at bare feet or socks. In addition to constant shoe wearing, one should not leave the bathroom door open, whether or not someone is in there doesn't matter - closed at all times. While we're on the topic of "bathroom etiquette", it's important that I mention that most toilets here can't handle toilet paper, but there is a garbage bin next to it that can. Luckily, my host family doesn't mess around when it comes to that, and hooked my bathroom up big dog style.

Saturday
I had orientation with my four other (girl) classmates. Yes, this program has a total of five students and five professors  - it's relatively new and is situated in the middle of a residential area in a two level building. My professor told me today that the building was originally built and owned by a man who won the lottery and quickly spent every penny he had. Unfortunately for that guy, we now have a conveniently placed, small school to learn in (with a shower, if learning gets really crazy or something). The rooms don't have numbers, but rather are named after countries, and are no bigger than a dorm room in Golding Hall (8 desks and a carpet from 1974); I have literature in 'Chile' with one other student and culture in 'Peru'. I have class (along with a few coffee breaks) from 8-2 during the week except on Wednesdays, which is baller. Profesora Patricia said they are days to catch up on work and/or explore the area. The professors are well educated and beyond thrilled we chose them. Overall, it's a nice, quaint environment to learn in.

Later in the day, mi madre tica asked if I wanted to go to mass with the family; I of course agreed and Victor, Rosa, la abuelita Maria, and I got in a Yaris and rolled up to church. It was exactly the same sequence as the church I attend at home, which was great, but at the end... they sell little cups of rice pudding outside !! I was pumped.

Sunday
Don Eugenio (a Swiss national who speaks fluent French, Spanish and German) took me and two of my other classmates, Cherry and Stephanie, through a pretty extensive tour of San Jose, the capital. The city itself will need it's own blog post, but for now I'll just say it's much less pleasant than NY - ton's of awful smells, a lot of horrible looking buildings, and garbage everywhere. And if you think this describes even the worse parts of NYC, you need to fly down and visit. But for some reason, the city has this bizarre charm that makes me love it. I'll go more into detail during the next go around.

I think I'm going to try posting everyday, even it's just something small and insignificant. Also, I'm going to write what I ate that day, so you can get an idea of what a typical day of meals consists of.

Section of Yummm:

Breakfast
  • Two pieces of Italian style bread, margarine on both sides
  • Some typle of Bologna/Ham hybrid meat - put on one of the sides
  • Guava jelly on other side
  • Watermelon
  • Coffee, Water

Lunch

  • Three chicken pieces, like big nuggets
  • Rice, Greenbeans, Blackbeans w/ cilantro
  • One plantain w/ white cheese
  • Coffee, Water

Dinner
  • Two burritos w/ black beans, cheese, and chicken
  • Coffee, Water 
Hope everyone is well, feel free to skype me at any point (dan.hylas) - I love seeing familiar faces that speak to me in English! I'm off to finish my homework, and probably eat something (got hungry after recapping what I ate today).


Pura Vida, mis amigos


hasta maƱana

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are settling in nicely. Dual citizenship in your future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From a professional Immigration point of view, the USA does not recognize dual citizenship.

    Sounds like fun.

    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete